Flooding is often unexpected, but can cause major damage, and fast.
Also, homeowners affected by flooding are typically NOT insured, which is why we frequently suggest that if you live in a flood zone, please check your homeowners insurance policy to ensure your coverage when it comes to flooding and the damages it causes.
If flooding happens frequently in your area, and is a serious threat to your home, be sure to –
- have a battery powered tv/radio available
- unplug appliances or anything electrical that could be submerged (even slightly) by water
- raise furniture up on blocks to avoid excess damage
- build/keep maintaining your emergency preparedness stock
- have quick access to flashlights, batteries, candles, and first aid supplies
If your home has been affected by a flood, please contact DRR as soon as possible. We want to prevent the onset of mold growth due to the extra moisture in your home, so the sooner you contact us, the better. 901.591.6151.